Mounting popularity of social media marketing has compelled businesses to adopt emerging platform of social networking as their preferred marketing channel. Since the inception of social media marketing into their overall marketing strategies, organizations are facing problems of social media misuse at work.
Staff use this official time for their personal interactions and works on the principle of “LOOK BUSY DO NOTHING”. There have been many incidents reported on the abuse like “Department For Transport Staff Sacked For ‘Misuse Of Social Media’” or “social workers in scotland sacked over glitter e-mail” and to name but a few. Owing to this, several studies conducted in pursuit of solution to the problem and without any surprise most of the recommendations primarily revolved around developing constraint policies and controls.
In this blog, we will discuss several technological options to mitigate the effects of abuse of social networking resources by marketing staff:
1. Use KLOUT to monitor their social media influence. This will ensure that their official time is being spent on social media instead of surfing other sites.
2. Adopting Google Plus concept of social circles and assigning staff to particular circle help in monitoring their daily activities. This is possible if manager becomes follower of all the staff he has under him and their activity feed is being monitored.
3. Google+ ripples tool is very efficient in determination of effectiveness of particular post. This tool graphically shows posting and re-sharing information. Timeline feature in Google+ ripple makes it very easy to get chronological sequence of the posts. All in all this is a useful tool for the management to identify effectiveness of their staff social networking efforts. Furthermore, it can be utilized for identifying influencers in social media campaign as it shows the users who re-shared particular post in their circles.
4. Hash tags provide an opportunity to classify posts as per the convenience of publisher. Thus, it can be utilized in a manner that provide ease in monitoring. For instance, we can code tag like #XXXDDDDDD, where ‘X’ is the code of the category and ‘D’ is the date. Therefore, tag such as #WIS21613 means posted on 21st June 2013 having code of WIS which corresponds to “What Is”.
5. URL shortening websites usually provide information on clicks; therefore, it is advisable that different staff members should be given with different short URLs and their clicks are marked as their achievement.